how to get rid of istartsurf!
Every time I open Firefox browser a new tab is started for "istartsurf" I would dearly like to be rid of this intrusive and persistent intruder. I have uninstalled it in (Programs and Features" and tried Adware Removal Tool to no avail Thanks in advance David Haigh
For what you raise about Linux, imo it's because adwares on windows take themselves root permissions, whereas on Linux they can't take permissions without your agreement. I can be wrong by telling that, but I think i'm not.Read this answer in context 1
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.67.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.1.3
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.06
- Nokia Suite Enabler Plugin
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Logitech Harmony Remote Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
Hi djhaigh, have you tried adwcleaner ? It deletes unwanted programs and browser hijackers.
I found Firefox Properties and removed the offending string. I also used Regedit and searched for "istartsurf" and deleted all reference to it. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks to all for your help. Regards David P.S. I rarely use Windows 7 as I have Ubuntu 14.04 installed on a multi boot system. You don't have that sort of problem with Linux ...
Modified by djhaigh
For what you raise about Linux, imo it's because adwares on windows take themselves root permissions, whereas on Linux they can't take permissions without your agreement. I can be wrong by telling that, but I think i'm not.