How does support localization work?
- Localize Mozilla Support
- How does support localization work? (you are here)
- Translating an article
- How do I update articles after their first translation?
- L10N guidelines for reviewing translated articles
- How to be a SUMO Locale Leader
If you think something is missing or should be added to this list, contact Michał
There are two parts to support localization:
- The first part is the user interface (the buttons, text in sidebars, etc.). Please read How to localize the SUMO interface if you want to do that. Localizing the SUMO interface at this moment is done using a different open source tool that's external to SUMO and requires a separate account.
- Then there are the actual articles. You can localize the following:
- Normal articles: They are full Knowledge Base articles for visitors, like in any other wiki, with the added benefit that they are localizable. There are two types of normal articles:
- Troubleshooting: articles explaining how to fix a problem (for example: Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix).
- How to: articles explaining how to use a feature (for example: Awesome Bar - Search your Firefox bookmarks, history and tabs from the address bar).
- Special articles (note: they usually don't require localization, apart from Navigation and Templates/Content Blocks):
- Navigation: Those articles are special pages, like the start pages, or the Get Community Support page. (for example: Get community support)
- Templates/Content Blocks: Some parts of articles, like how to open the preferences window, are repeated in so many articles, that it makes sense to write those blocks once and have them inserted in article when they are needed. We use Templates for that. (for example: Template:adddevices)
- How to contribute: Those are articles that are meant for contributors. You don't need to localize them, they are only for people who are registered as contributors, and don't show up in search results. You are reading an article belonging to this category right now :-).
- Administration: Miscellaneous articles that don't belong to the above categories.All articles in SUMO are localized using the same tool, that is built into SUMO and does not require any additional accounts.
If you want to learn more about the different information and site tools you can review and use for the purposes of localization, please watch the short videos below: