How can I turn on spellcheck as default?
I was happily typing along and noticed both a typo and the fact that the typo was NOT underlined in red squiggles. Hmmmm, I thought.
Fiddling around, I discovered an option on right-click that allowed Me to turn on spellcheck. Now, every time I type in an email or forum, on Twitter, anywhere, I have to right-click to be sure of My spelling.
Thus began My efforts to find how to set the button to be on by default... Finding none led Me to "Help," which a search of the term "spellcheck default" led Me to a zero in returns. Sure, there were discussions with those terms, but I could not prowl them all looking for the method of setting spellcheck to be on by default. The first few pages yielded nothing...
So if You would please, direct Me to that function. [smile]
Try this go to Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> General >> Check my spelling as I TypeRead this answer in context 5
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.9
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_39 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
Tools (or AppMenu/Options)/Options/Composition/Spelling, check "Enable spell-check as you type".
Try this go to Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> General >> Check my spelling as I Type
Thank You both. Somehow I missed that tab. LOL!
For some reason this solution does not work. At least not permanently Every time I start Firefox I need to re-enable this setting.
Modified by Edward27821
Spellcheck enabled but still doesn't work.
My option is set for check spelling while I type but its not working and it used to work????? NEXT ?
Modified by tbenton
You can see which dictionary is selected if you right-click in a text area and open the Languages submenu. At least one dictionary should be installed and have a check mark to indicate that it is selected.
- Open the "Add Dictionaries" link to install a dictionary if you do not have one.
- Make sure that [X] "Check Spelling" in the right-click context menu is check-marked.
You can enable or disable spell checking globally:
- Tools > Options > Advanced : General: Browsing: "Check my spelling as I type"
You can look here for dictionaries: