Opening a new tab or window automatically opens a page from my history. I have it set to open a blank window in preferences.
Opening a new tab or window automatically opens a page from my history. I have it set to open a blank window in preferences. I would like it to open the window and keep the page blank as it has in the prior 26 versions of Firefox I have used and rolled out to my mac users.
Firefox 27.0.1, Mac OS 10.6.8 and 10.8.5
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
tired resetting preferences, no change in behavior.
To change the new tab page, follow these steps:
- Go to
- Locate the string
- Change the value of this string to
This will then change the default new tab page to a blank page.
More details about this method can be found here.
NOTE: If you have an add-on or third party program installed that will override the default home/new tab pages, the above will no work.
This program will need to be uninstalled/deactivated before changes to the new tab/homepage will be applied.
Modified by Wesley Branton
Note that a new window opens with the Home page (browser.startup.homepage).
A possible workaround is to use a bookmark (about:blank) on the Bookmarks Toolbar and hold down the Shift key and left-click to open this page in a new window.