Firefox is very slow and laggy for most websites I visit, cannot figure out how to fix.
This started just about a month or so ago. Almost every website I visit Firefox either lags or outright stalls, giving me the (unresponsive) notice at the top or unresponsive script error messages.
I have tried every suggestion I could find in the help, including "Firefox uses too much resources", "Firefox hangs or is unresponsive", and "Unresponsive script - how to fix". I have cleared all history, cookies and cache, reset Firefox, reinstalled, everything I can. I disabled all my extensions and add-ons one by one to see if they impacted, I made sure everything including Firefox is up to date. Nothing has changed the behavior.
Any help here would be appreciated.
How about a whole new profile?Read this answer in context 4
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.06
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.51.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.52
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
I am posting from a different computer, so cannot provide these details at the moment. I will update when I get a chance to log in from home.
How about a whole new profile?
It is possible that your security software (firewall, anti-virus) blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
That solved it. I created a new profile and that seems to fix the problem. Everything loads quickly again, no lag.
I guess I will transfer over my bookmarks to the new profile and delete the old one. Thank you for your help.