Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

mozilla frozen, on what looks like a phony rcmp popup kind of thing, how do i fix?

martimalcolm

my son's laptop is frozen on what looks like an rcmp pop-up kind of thing, says he has to pay a fine online, before it becomes unfrozen, I'm thinking its a scam, but cant unfreeze it, not even to delete firefox, any ideas?

my son's laptop is frozen on what looks like an rcmp pop-up kind of thing, says he has to pay a fine online, before it becomes unfrozen, I'm thinking its a scam, but cant unfreeze it, not even to delete firefox, any ideas?

All Replies (1)

Hello,

Yes this certainly sounds like a scam. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware_%28malware%29

Don't pay any money.

I am not a security expert and this is not strictly a Firefox issue so you may be better off seeking help elsewhere but this is what I would do in your situation:

  • Turn off the computer
  • Boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking
  • Download Malwarebytes Free and run a complete scan. Remove any threats found. Do the same with HitMan Pro. Also do a complete scan with your standard anti virus software.
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into Windows (not safe mode). It should let you in and the virus will be gone.
  • Don't visit the source site again.

I hope this helps. But please go carefully. I don't know the details of your situation so I can't anticipate problems. As I said - you may be better seeking professional help or asking in a security forum.