Reporting extensions and themes for abuse
Table of Contents
What constitutes abuse in an extension or theme?
Every extension and theme published on Firefox Add-ons is subject to the Mozilla add-on policies, which also require compliance with the Conditions of Use for Mozilla services. These policies and conditions have been created to protect you from inappropriate content or behavior in extensions and themes for Firefox.
The types of content and behavior that are considered inappropriate, and therefore constitute abuse, are detailed in the add-on policies and conditions of use. Here are some examples of what these documents define as abuse:
- Disseminating hate speech or inciting violence.
- Promoting illegal activities.
- Including content that shows graphic depictions of sexuality or violence.
- Sending unsolicited communications.
- Providing features that aren’t required to undertake the extensions stated function. For example, if an extension’s function is to help make fonts more readable, it shouldn’t need to create a new tab containing a website you haven’t chosen to visit.
- Requesting payment to use a feature of the extension, where the need for that payment isn’t declared in the extension’s description.
- Injecting ads into web pages without making it clear that the ads originated from the add-on. You may notice this because web pages that didn’t contain ads before you installed the add-on now contain ads.
Some things that don’t constitute abuse, include:
- A lack of functionality compared to the extension’s description.
- Poorly working or hard to use features.
- Slow functioning of the extension’s features, as long as these don’t affect the overall performance of Firefox.
If your issue with the extension or theme falls outside the guidelines for abuse, consider contacting the developer, leaving them a review, or both.
How do I report an extension or theme?
If you believe you’ve identified an extension or theme that is abusing the policies or conditions, do the following to report it:
- Go to the Firefox Add-ons page for the extension or theme and click .
- Provide as much detail as you can in the Explain how this add-on is violating our policies. box.
- When you’re finished entering details, click Send abuse report.
What happens next?
Your abuse report is sent to the Firefox add-ons team, who review it. If they confirm that the extension or theme is abusing the Mozilla add-on policies or conditions of use, the extension or theme is removed from addons.mozilla.org until the developer fixes the issues. Depending on the history and severity of the abuse, the add-ons team may issue a block that prevents the extension or theme from loading in Firefox. For more information, see Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist.