Since update message "XML Parsing Error: undefined entity Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line Number 238, Column 5:" Tried everything - help!
Since an automatic update ran I get the message
"XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 238, Column 5:
<broadcaster ----^"<br="" id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_ChromeDebugger"> when I try to open Firefox. I have had to go back to using Internet Explorer - Tried everything suggested including deleting then reinstalling Firefox, but still cannot get Firefox to open - help! </broadcaster>
Modified by cor-el
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C)
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps:
Note: You might want to print these steps or view them in another browser.
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu).
- Delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located in one of these locations, by default (your profile folder with bookmarks etc. WILL NOT BE DELETED):
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Delete Firefox from the Applications folder.
- Linux: If you installed Firefox with the distro-based package manager, you should use the same way to uninstall it - see Install Firefox on Linux. If you downloaded and installed the binary package from the Firefox download page, simply remove the folder firefox in your home directory.
- Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Thanks for trying - I deleted and reinstalled exactly as you advised but still get - XML Parsing Error: undefined entity Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line Number 238, Column 5: <broadcaster ----^="" <="" every="" firefox.="" i="" id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_ChromeDebugger" open="" p="" time="" to="" try=""></broadcaster>
Sorry the error message does not read correctly when entered - should read XML Parsing Error: undefined entity Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line Number 238, Column 5: broadcaster id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_ChromeDebugger"
Can you reproduce in Firefox safe mode?
It may be a addon or hardware acceleration affecting this (making the error show up).
Great! Thanks, managed to start Firefox in safe mode using the shift key, and this worked - then reset Firefox and everything works again. Thanks again.
I too am getting this error messageXML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mozilla%20Firefox/omni.ja!/chrome/toolkit/content/global/netError.xhtml Line Number 305, Column 54:
On several different websites.
It has only happened with the two most recent versions of firefox, 27 and 27.0.1