This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firefox keeps hanging/freezes
I've had Firefox for quite some time but then it started hanging, almost like it froze, the moment i accessed a webpage (note: it doesn't matter what page i access/close there is no change). now, I've tried looking around for solutions, and I've followed many of them without success.
- restarted the browser
- run it in compatibility mode
- disabled add-ons/extensions (sometimes both)
- run it in safe mode
- closed websites
- disabled hardware acceleration
- re-installation and clean re-installation
the only thing that seems to actually work is disabling java script, would really help a lot if i got some help fixing this problem.
All Replies (3)
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
Do a clean reinstall and delete the Firefox program folder before (re)installing a fresh copy of the current Firefox release.
Download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.
- Firefox 22.0: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible, to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.
- Do NOT remove personal data when you uninstall your current Firefox version, because all profile folders will be removed and you lose personal data like bookmarks and passwords from profiles of other Firefox versions.
Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.
- (32 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"
- (64 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"
- It is important to delete the Firefox program folder to remove all the files and make sure that there are no problems with files that were leftover after uninstalling.
Your bookmarks and other personal data are stored in the Firefox profile folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.
Modified by cor-el
ok, now i've tried creating a new profile, uninstalled firefox and removed the program folder and installed it again, did the same thing again except this time to the 32 bit folder, nothing seemed to work.
Boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.