This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
My desktop short cut icons have changed to either a pic of the world/globe or the Firefox logo. How do I get the "personalised" ones back?
This is a new PC running Windows 7 and iGoogle is my home page. My desktop short cut icons used to have "personalised" pics but after a day or two using the new PC they all changed to either the Firefox logo or a little map of the world. Why did this happen and how do I get the old logos back? I have a screen shot saved on my desktop if anyone wants to see it.
All Replies (1)
Try to rebuild the Windows icon cache.
- Open the Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+ESC)
- In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
- Open the file picker via "File > New Task (Run)" and click the Browse button.
- Type or Paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local in the File name field (AppData is a hidden folder).
- Select the IconCache.db file and use "Delete" in the right-click context menu to delete the file.
- After the IconCache.db file has been deleted, start a new explorer.exe process via "File > New Task" to get the desktop and Taskbar back.
Verify in Windows Explorer that you can see the IconCache.db file before doing the above mentioned steps because the IconCache.db file may be a hidden file.