after mozbackup restores "certificates" firefox cannot start, other items restore OK
I use Mozbackup to synchronise Firefox from my desktop to my laptop. My laptop's Firefox would not start and displayed a crash reporting dialog.
I completely uninstalled and made a fresh, new install with Beta 19.0.2. I then restored my Mozbackup from my desktop, item by item. When the "Certificates" item was restored, Firefox would not start and display the crash repoting dialog. So now I know that the certificates item is the culprit.
Why does this allow Firefox to start on my desktop but refuses to do so on my laptop?
Thanks a lot! email@example.com
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Nitro PDF Plug-in for Firefox and Chrome
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Did you try to remove the cert8.db file?
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
I used the Mozbackup file from my desktop, which does not seem to have this probem, to restore all my Firefox settings. I restored the settings category by category until I found the culprit by process of elimination. The "Certificates" item from the backup is the one that prevented Firefox from starting. My question is, why this happens?
Did you also restore the secmode.db file?