Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Where do I find options for virus checking downloads - I get a message telling me to change options with each download

jondi

When I download software or files the Downloads window opens, the file downloads and is virus scanned and then a message appears telling me:

"Download Statusbar: Anti-Virus Scan failed to start, check configuration"

I had an options facility when I first set up Firefox where there were several options available - I believe the virus check facility was the last tab.

I think I had an option box which allowed me to tick a check box to scan on download but I can no longer find this option box. Please can you advise the route to it?

Many thanks in anticipation.

When I download software or files the Downloads window opens, the file downloads and is virus scanned and then a message appears telling me: "Download Statusbar: Anti-Virus Scan failed to start, check configuration" I had an options facility when I first set up Firefox where there were several options available - I believe the virus check facility was the last tab. I think I had an option box which allowed me to tick a check box to scan on download but I can no longer find this option box. Please can you advise the route to it? Many thanks in anticipation.

All Replies (2)

Chosen Solution

hello jondi, go to firefox > addons > extensions & click on "options" next to download statusbar in order to access it.

Memory is a fleeting thing!!!

Many thanks for your help.