default web browser
How do I make Mozilla Firefox my default browser? I wanted to check it out first and now can't find how to change from IE to Firefox as default browser.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Google Update
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1245
- A component of your photo software powered by RocketLife
- Picasa plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- PlayStation(R)Network Downloader Check Plug-in
- Virtual Earth 3D 4.00090316005 plugin for Mozilla
- Yahoo! activeX Plug-in Bridge
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The title doesn't say "default browser" but this is the article you want:
Welcome to Firefox.
The How to make web links open in Firefox by default article can help with this.
If the instructions above don't work, see the Setting Firefox as the default browser does not work - What to do article.
The getting started guide has a ton of information for new users :
Modified by Shawn
I've tried both of these steps, but when I click on a web link from an email, Explorer still opens up as my browser.
My issue is that the "Make Firefox the default browser" button does not appear in my Advanced/General Preferences settings. All I have is a box to check to make "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup. It also says "Firefox is currently your default browser," but it's only default on startup - not when I click on a link. Help?
What e-mail program are you using?
P.S. As a test to see which browser is the default:
With Firefox closed, click on the Windows Start button, then type www.google.com into the search box and press enter.
Does Firefox open? If so, then it is your default browser.
I'm using Microsoft Outlook for Windows. The same happens when I link from word docs or other ways I get links.
I am using a Mac airbook that has Windows Parallels. Where is the Windows start button. Any other button comparable on a mac?
chrisabarry, This thread was started by a user with Windows 7, which has the start button at the bottom left corner of the screen, on the Windows taskbar. I'm not familiar with Windows Parallels on a Mac airbook ...if it runs Windows 8 then I'n not the best person to help but you may be able to test the default browser by opening the Run box and entering a URL like www.google.com - see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/07/win8-howto-12-show-and-use-run-command.aspx
Since I don't have access to a windows 8 cpmputer (I'm on Windows 7) you might be better off starting your own thread. You can use this link as a starting point: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/new