I keep getting a "Firefox is unable to connect with Facebook Messenger right now" error on my Facebook messenger side bar. How do I fix this?
When I start up Firefox, my Facebook Messenger tab appears but it says "Firefox is unable to connect with Facebook Messenger right now." Two buttons appear, one showing "Try Again" and the other showing "Close This Sidebar" When I press "Try Again", it nothing happens. It will not connect. I have tried restarting Firefox and my computer as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. I cannot get this functionality to work.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_37 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
This has also been reported in this MozillaZine forum thread, so it looks that this is an issue with the Facebook site if it worked before.
I tried the suggestion on the forum. It did not fix the issue. Now, it tells me to Log In to Facebook. I logged in and it still doesn't work.
Did it work before?
If so, when did it stop working?
Modified by cor-el
Yes, it worked before. It suddenly stopped working today when I closed my browser.
I see that there is a bug about this and that Facebook is working on it.
- bug 825264 - Unable to connect to Facebook Messenger right now
The same problem for me for the past few days. Removing/re-adding the Facebook integration and deleting cache/cookies makes no difference.
I'm also getting the problem on my work PC, both Firefox 17.0.1. The home pc is Windows 8 64-Bit/Work: Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-Bit.
I see that link says Facebook are working on it but nothing to back that up?
Modified by bradavon
We haven't heard anything from Facebook yet, so just keep trying and hopefully this will be resolved shortly :)
I've been having the same problem suddenly a week ago, but suddenly, it started working again today. Did they fix it permanently?
It looks like it was fixed less than 1-2 hours ago. I've been checking all night. Hopefully Facebook have fixed it permanently.