I have no "open with" option for downloads
I click on a file within a website to open it, but the pop up box does not have the "open with.." option, only the save option. The file type is a text document with the extension ".prg" which is associated in my Windows Folder Options to open with Wordpad. Within Firefox Tools/Options/Applications, this file type does not show up, so I cannot change it. I read elsewhere where this is blamed on MIME type in the HTML header, but Microsoft Internet Explorer gets it right every time, only Firefox does not recognize the file type.
As an aside, the same site has files with the extension".chg" that I open with Notepad. Firefox gives the "open with" option for these files, with Notepad as the defauld, but the "Always open with" is greyed out. Not that I care, as the default is what I want, but....
Firefox goes by the mimetype and not the file type as IE does.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.1"
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- ToolBook Plugin 9.00.535
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.524
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Google Update
- Classic Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Netscape and Mozilla
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6
Firefox goes by the mimetype and not the file type as IE does.
Thanks, James. I guess it is either use IE or live with the extra steps.