PDF Viewing Does not work once Acrobat/reader updated to XI / Shubert solution costs $60!
Mac OS 10.8. Installed Acrobat XI and PDF download and viewing no longer works in Firefox 17. Was able to get download to work, but not viewing in browser. Installed Reader XI - did not help. Tried PDF Viewer 0.6.39 Extension - does not work. Tried Schubert PDF Browser Plugin 2.4.4 (as recommended by Mozilla) - I eventually end up at a licensing site for Schubert and they want $69 to use their Plugin.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Office Live Update v1.0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.6.8
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 202
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- View PDF documents within your web browser.
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
Solved - didn't see "Personal Use only Box" below "send for License" button.
Spoke too soon - Every time I close and re-open Firefox, the Acrobat NPAPI Plugin, Version 11.0 has to be disabled. I don't want to delete it because it may be useful for other browsers. What can I do?
I had Acrobat Pro 9 and went to the check add ons, which told me that I should update now. I did and Reader was installed. I can't exactly remember what happened after that, only that I wound up installing Acrobat XI and, even after trying to configure Firefox and Acrobat, some other application was displaying PDFs in the browser so that I always got an error message and an option to use a different application (like Acrobat). But when I chose that, instead, it would download the file, not open it in the browser.
I checked the Applications option to ensure that Acrobat was supposed to open in Firefox. Check. I checked to see if Acrobat was enabled to open PDFs in the browser in the Add-On screen. Check. I disabled the PDF Viewer (pdf js). While that solved the annoying problem of seeing the uglified PDF file, it would only download the file. [See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/view-pdf-files-firefox-without-downloading-them for some of what I did. I was too chicken to have Firefox reinitialize all my plug-ins.]
Oh, and I did disable DJVu Plugin Viewer as well.
Bottom line: none of the fixes worked to make PDFs open in Acrobat XI in Firefox. It works fine (albeit slowly) in IE 9.
Modified by cynthrea1