"Are you sure you want to Leave this page" message
When attempting to close a tab, I get the "Are you sure you want to leave this page" message and a OK button and a cancel button. I would like to be able to close any page without seeing this message. If I click to close a page or tab containing a page, then I would like it to close without this message appearing. Please help.
Additional System Details
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.3
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Dependency Checker Detector
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Without a specific example I'm speculating a bit here...
Most browsers allow pages to detect when the user is leaving the page and run a script before leaving (using the beforeunload event). It's useful in some cases, for example, where the page lets you edit something and you never saved your edit.
You might be able to block scripts from hooking into that event (I'm not sure it's possible, but there's probably a way), but you might not be able to block it in one certain circumstances, e.g., going Back versus loading another page in the same tab versus closing the tab.
If you get it all the time then you may have caught malware or a Firefox extension.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked