This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
I cannot update from v. 16 to v. 17, and 16 no longer works (and is locked, so I can't throw it away)
My Macbook Pro is running 10.7.5 I got an update notice in Firefox and tried to update to v. 17.
I. When I try to move the download to the Applications folder:
(1) If I choose "Replace," I get the error message: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."
(2) If I choose "Keep Both Files," I get the error message: "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 0)."
II. Version 16 no longer works:
1. If I try to open it now, I get the error message: "You can't open the application Firefox.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."
2. If I try to throw out the damaged app, I get the error message: "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Firefox.app” is locked."
Can someone help me with this? Thanks!
All Replies (2)
ADDENDUM: It updated on its own; I'm now in v. 17.
I don't understand how it resolved, but it did.
In future if there are problems with updating or with the permissions then easiest is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
- Firefox 17.0: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Trash the current Firefox application (e.g. open the Applications folder in the Finder and drag the Firefox application to the Trash) to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data if you uninstall and (re)install Firefox.