Help, Firefox won't let me surf the net on my Windows program. Says I have viruses - Help!!!
Help me. Right now I'm on my "Ubuntu" program on this computer. IT also has Windows. A few minutes ago, on the Windows program, which I also use Firefox on, I got boxes popping up saying I am infected with viruses - dangerous- blah blah blah. I tried to go to www.avast.com to download their free anti virus protection. Firefox won't even let me search the web to get to avast. It keeps saying I'm in danger and is trying to get me to order a $79.95 version of Win anti virus. help me. Suzanne
Additional System Details
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- The Totem 3.0.1 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Running a malware program/application may not fix the problem if your infection is the malware listed in the following article. You may need to download and run some other items before the malware program(s) to reverse some of the changes made to your system. Review the following article carefully, and if the screenshots near the top of the article look familiar, follow the instructions given in the order given to rid your system of this pest.