Firefox will not play Netflix
Netflix movies play using Safari, but not Firefox. Using Firefox 15.0.1, Mac OS 10.7.5, and Sliverlight 5.1.10411.0, when I try to play a Netflix movie, it ask me to download Silverlight again. After doing so, it still does not play movie and asks for Silverlight download again.
Problem was solved by moving the previously downloaded version of Silverlight to the trash, emptying the trash, then downloading Silverlight a second time.Read this answer in context 4
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 22.214.171.124
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 126.96.36.199
- RealPlayer Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
I wonder whether this is the 32-bit/64-bit issue. Could you check this thread and see whether that makes any difference for you: Firefox does not play netflix.
Problem was solved by moving the previously downloaded version of Silverlight to the trash, emptying the trash, then downloading Silverlight a second time.
I had this problem Netflix too. Here's a sure fix for MAC users:
- Access your hard drive (double click the hard drive icon in finder)
- Find the silverlight plugin (navigate to your Internet Plug-Ins directory: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/)
- Remove the silverlight plugin (drag any of the following into your trash bin:
* Silverlight.plugin * WPFe.plugin
- Empty your trash bin
- Go to www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/ using your Firefox browser.
- Download and install silverlight
- Restart Firefox
This removes a bad install of Silverlight and starts fresh. Definitely works!
I am using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and for some reason I had a problem that I have seen many people on here was having and was blaming Firefox's Plugin Container when watching Netflix or anything using Microsoft's Silverlight. But it isn't the Container that is causing the "Silverlight Plugin Has Crashed" problem. I just talked to Microsoft about it and found the solution on fixing it. The problem is the Computer Browser.
You go to "run", then type in "SERVICES.MSC" when that pops up scroll down to "Computer Browser" highlight it then in the left hand side at the top you will see "Restart the service". That's it. Restart computer. Now Firefox will play Silverlight.
I have read so many posts about this with people coming up with all sorts of things to try to fix this, but none has worked....for me anyway.
So do this and I'm sure you'll be happy again.