Session restore is not working
All of a sudden today my browser shut down and since then my tabs are not saved and restored when I open again. I have made sure the right settings are clicked but it's still not working.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
September 17th 2012
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_35 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
It is possible that there is a problem with the files sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
This also was happening to me. Every time I was closing and restarting firefox i was losing also all my tabs. I notice the problem was that sessionstore.js was been deleted each time I closed firefox. In fact I had some old sessionstore-<#number#>.js in my profile but they were dating from further. I tried renaming one of those before opening firefox and in fact i got old tabs restored, but then again after closing firefox the sessionstore.js was deleted.
Finally I find out the reason is that at the same time I had ask firefox to restore my tabs in the Privacy Tab from the Preferences Window I set Firefox to clean up my History each time Firefox close. So what this setting was doing was to remove the sessionstore.js each time I was closing Firefox. The workaround was to enable Firefox to remember my History.
In fewer words. Try to do this:
- Open Edit Menu > Preferences
- Change to the Privacy Tab
- Find the History part. There is a checkbox reading: "Clear history when Firefox closes". Make sure to uncheck that box.
- Close the Preferences window, then Firefox and restart again.
Hopefully this works also for you.