Firefox KILLS my PC
Hi, I'm running windows vista business on my laptop and the latest firefox update has killed my pc! I even have to logon using safe mode to remove it! I have removed and re-installed it three times now and still it just would not work. the problem is when I clicked starting firefox, the whole pc just frozen and will not do a thing! I will then have to force shut down by holding the on/off button down to turn my pc off! is the update corrupted or is it full of vires? please help. thanks
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
click on firefox
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Facebook Video Calling by Skype
- Office Live Update v1.0
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- DivX OVS Helper Plug-in
- DivX Plus Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
not a chance to use my pc at all, everything just frozen!
Try starting Firefox in the Profile Manager and create a new profile. In addition to bypassing current add-ons and custom settings, it should have completely fresh settings databases and a fresh cache folder.
From the run or search box on the Windows start menu:
This article has more information: Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles.
Can you get that far?
Does the new profile start up normally? If so, you can copy over your bookmarks, history, passwords, and other critical data. See: Recovering important data from an old profile.
thanks for your reply, I can get nowhere at all, when I click the firefox icon, my pc screen just goes white and frozen!
is it anything to do with my OS? many thanks
Can you start Firefox in Safe mode?
- On Windows, hold down the Shift key while starting Firefox with a double-click on the Firefox desktop shortcut
- On Mac, hold down the Options key while starting Firefox
thanks for your input.
I have un-installed firefox for now but I will try to re-install it again later on. It works fine (4.0.1)without the latest update! so....lets wait and see...