firefox 14.0.1 do this automatically is greyed out
I run Firefox 14.0.1 but the same problem was on 13.0.1 on my Mac. I have been downloading the same type of file and it has previously opened in Preview. Now Firefox says the default app is TextEdit and I can manually select Preview or Adobe buyt I cannot select the "do this automatically . . . : as it is greyed out. The downloaded file is a document file.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Office Live Update v1.0
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 126.96.36.199
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Have searched the web but found no recent relevant info.
This usually happens if the file is send with a specific MIME type that is currently associated with the TextEdit application.
You can check if you find that action in Tools > Options > Applications and change accordingly.
You can to delete the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox Profile Folder to reset all file actions.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Thanks for the tips. Am a bit lost though as I cannot find Tools>Options>Applications. In Firefox>preferences>Applications I find Content type and Actions but there is nothing listed as documents in Content Type and nothing listed as TextEdit in Actions. Yesterday I deleted the mimetypes.rdf file but Firefox still behaves the same as yesterday - files not recognized. Under the Tools menu I have Web Search, Downloads, Add-ons, Plugins, Sync Now, Web Developer, Page Info, Start Private Browsing and Clear Recent History. Where can I find Tools>Options>Applications that you refer to? Thanks in advance.