Is it Mozilla Firefox version 13.0.1 compatible with Windows Server 2008
After installation of the above version of Firefox in Windows Server 2008. This browser seems working abnormally such as below:
1. If I open Firefox again after open & closed it once. It will prompt error message "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."
2. Mozilla Firefox hang when clearing history & caches etc.
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.56 Safari/536.5
1. Checked Task Manager that firefox.exe is still running even we've closed. Every time it requires manually remove ! Even, after you removed the process from task manager, if you repeat the same step as I mentioned (1) in details corner.
2. Disabled all plugins, but not the permanent resolution.
Use "Firefox/File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit") to close Firefox if you are currently doing that by clicking the close X on the title bar.
See "Hang at exit":
See "Firefox hangs when you quit it":
Sorry I have no knowledge about servers, but AFAIK firefox 13 is officially compatible with Windows fro XP SP2 & Server 2003 through to Windows 7, so that should cover Windows server 2008. http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/system-requirements/
The problems you mention are probably related. It appears Firefox is not closing down properly, so you may need to kill an existing firefox.exe (or plugin container) before restarting.
As a troubleshooting step try setting Firefox not to clear cache and history at closedown. Has Firefox got permissions to access and modify required files without security software interfering ?
Firefox 13.0.1 System Requirements are listed here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0.1/system-requirements/ (it doesn't specifically list Windows Server 2008 but that doesn't mean it won't work).
See "Firefox is already running but is not responding" error message - How to fix it (and the related Profile in Use article) if you are getting that error.
If Firefox hangs when clearing history, you may have a corrupted places database. Ref: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_using_page_history (see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Places_database for solutions).
Modified by AliceWyman
You can try to repair the places database with this extension:
I've tried on links provided before but no luck, problem persists !
Modified by tingns
Thanks for your suggested solution but it doesn't work on Firefox 3.6.4 ! Anyway, thanks a lot ^^
Thanks for your suggested solutions too. I have a question here, is it you mean that it probably work on Windows server 2008 but it might have flaws ?
TQ for your kind assistance ^^
I will let Alice reply to your question, but an additional thought:
If you are in a corporate environment the long term stability version Firefox ESR may be of interest to you. www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
tnsgns and John99,
I can't answer that question. The system requirements page needs to be reviewed and updated by Mozilla, if Windows Server 2008 is a supported OS (related bug is 640783).