How can I transfer Firefox to a new computer?
Just bought a new Windows 7 computer and would like to transfer Firefox, with all bookmarks, PW etc. from my old XP laptop. Is there a simple way to do this?
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Picasa plugin
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 126.96.36.199
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Virtual Earth 3D 4.00100226006 plugin for Mozilla
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
You can try copying the old Firefox Profile Folder to the new system, and on the new system, start the Firefox Manager > Create Profile > Next > Choose Folder > OK > Finish > Start Firefox. Even otherwise you can try to [replace/overwrite the needed files from the old profile into the new, for eg. the places.sqlite stores the bookmarks + history, key3.db and signons.sqlite are needed for the saved passwords etc.
Thanks for the suggestion. As it turned out, my salesman sold me a network cable to go with my new purchase and said it should be pretty easy to transfer existing files, etc to the new machine. When I connected it, it asked me to download a program, then transfer it by thumb drive to the old computer, then let it rip. It worked wonderfully. Not only Firefox, but just about everything else I needed. I did have to reload the programs I use, like Office, Outlook, etc.