How do I get rid of the notice that I need to update, when Firefox then tells me I have the latest version when I click the link to get the update?
This notice has been on the page under the Google box for the last few days. There is a link to click on to update. The next page says that I'm up to date but suggests downloading Android or offers a download of Firefox if I'd like one.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
a few days ago.
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 18.104.22.168
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Loki Plugin v.22.214.171.124
- Coupons Inc Mac Safari Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
Your home page may be the old, unmaintained, google.com/firefox. Change your home page to about:home and the notice should disappear.
This sounds like you are still using the old www.google.com/firefox/ homepage that is hosted by Google and is no longer used in Firefox since Firefox 4.0 or earlier. Google does not seem to maintaining that page anymore.
You can either ignore the message or change your homepage or use the now default about:home in "Tools->Options->General"
My Tools has no Options or General listed. I tried about: home, but it reverted to the Google home page. So thanks for the ideas, but they didn't solve the problem. Perhaps it's because I have a Mac?
nsigner wrote: My Tools has no Options or General listed
Whoops sorry as I missed that you are using a Mac and not Windows.
For Mac it is "Firefox->Preferences->General"
Tools->Options is Windows while Edit->Preferences is for Linux.
Thanks for the help. It's undoubtedly my error in not saying I'm a Mac user up front. I got there & chose return to default. Turns out that's where I have been all along. It's the Mozilla Firefox Start Page. But it includes this silly notice that I don't have the latest version of Firefox! Seems to me there's a bug (or whatever, I'm not real techy) in the basic design of the Firefox home page. Maybe it hasn't been updated for users of Lion?
Modified by nsigner
The Firefox start page as in the old www.google.com/firefox/ or do you mean the new about:home
The about:home does not give the you are not up to date message.
(corrected a typo: firefrox - c)
Modified by cor-el