Custom icons not showing in Google Maps
I have saved to my public Dropbox folder some custom icons (this folder was recommended by the icon developer). The icons can be used and viewed on Google Maps when using IE but not using FF 8.0.
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1
- Google Update
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- LogMeIn, Inc. Remote Access Components
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.5"
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17 for Mozilla browsers
- Wacom Dynamic Link Library
- Office Live Update v1.4
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
I have tried uploading an .htaccess file to the same folder as the icons, as recommended on several threads, but this has not helped.
That is a problem with CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing).
- http://enable-cors.org/ enable cross-origin resource sharing
See this MozillaZine forum thread "My own Google Map icons are not visible in Firefox 8":
Yes, I have tried creating an .htaccess file and saving it in the public folder of Dropbox, where my icons are hosted, but this has not worked for me, nor for many other FF 8 users.
Alright FF8 enabled CORS. What about file sharing services like Dropbox where we can't upload a .htaccess file to change the "Access-Control-Allow-Origin".
Now Dropbox is pretty useless on Firefox8, should Dropbox change his policy just for Firefox8 ?
I found out even icons hosted on Google Sites or Google Code are not working...