This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Would greatly appreciate it if Firefox 3.6 is maintained with security and stability updates. Cannot afford to upgrade my mac's operating system. Help!
Currently use a a 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 Mac with Mac OS X, version 10.4.11.
All Replies (4)
For the time being, Firefox 3.6 is being currently updated and maintained. The decision concerning continuing support for Firefox 3.6 is made by Mozilla. Read all of the following.
Beginning with Firefox 4, Macs must have an Intel x86 processor (which you do NOT have; yours is a PPC Mac) and OSX 10.5 or higher (your version is OSX 10.4).
The good news is that Firefox 3.6.24 still supports OSX 10.4 and Macs with the PPC Mac architecture. The bad news is that support for the Firefox 3.6.x series is likely to end in the first quarter of 2012.
- System requirements: Firefox 3.6.x
- Download Firefox 3.6.24: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
- Also see --> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Mac
You can try the third-party product TenFourFox that supports PPC Macs. Firefox 8 version of TenFourFox is available. The product is based on Firefox released versions. All support is provided by the developer, not by this site:
- Home page: http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
- Developer's blog: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/
- VERY IMPORTANT; read this carefully: https://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/PluginsNoLongerSupported
If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.
Not related to your question, but...
You may need to update some plug-ins. Check your plug-ins and update as necessary:
- Plug-in check --> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in: Installing (or Updating) the Shockwave plugin with Firefox
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape: Installing/Updating Adobe Reader in Firefox
- Shockwave Flash (Adobe Flash or Flash): Updating Flash in Firefox
- Next Generation Java Plug-in for Mozilla browsers: Installing or Updating Java in Firefox
Modified by SafeBrowser
OK, so I'm trying to digest all of this information. Thank you for trying to help me. Question, though, if "the decision concerning continuing support for Firefox 3.6 is made by Mozilla," how do I contact them to plead my case for continued support?
I've tried their "leave feedback" page, but it won't let me because I am not using the latest Firefox.
It's just so frustrating. I'm not in the market to change my Mac. I like it just the way it is!
Sorry, I doubt if Mozilla is going to reconsider the decision to discontinue support for PPC architecture. TenFourFox is a suitable Mozilla-based browser for PPC Macs. It is built from the same code that Firefox uses.
Although doing so is unlikely to change their minds, the mailing address is at the bottom of most pages on this site, under "About" then "Contact Us".
To help other users find solutions, please return and sign-in to the forum with your user name and password:
- click on "Solved It" next to the reply ABOVE that BEST solved your question
- DO NOT click "Solved It" next to this reply