How do I recover accidentally deleted Certificate Authority?
Running Firefox 5 on Ubuntu 10.10 and while troubleshooting some other issues, I believe I have deleted a Certificate Authority accidentally. Because of this I cannot securely access Facebook or any https Google sites. I can, however, access Bank of America and other https sites no problem.
Also, I can access these sites in Chrome without issue (but I prefer Firefox).
I'm looking for a way to recreate or repopulate the CAs. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox but that didn't seem to work. I'm at the point where I feel like I'll have to reinstall the OS, but I don't want to get to that point if at all possible.
Any ideas much appreciated.
Additional System Details
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_27 for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- interneTIFF Internet Imaging
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Citrix ICA Client Plugin (Win32)
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Which error do you get and who is the issuer of the certificates that do not work?
You can only remove trust bits from build-in root certificates.
Try to Rename or remove secmod.db (secmod.db.old) in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
You may have to rename cert8.db (cert8.db.old) as well.
Firefox will create new files.
That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the assist.
Thanks for your helpful information! I think you just solved a similar problem I've been having for quite awhile.
Thank you so much, cor-el! Your steps worked like a charm. I renamed secmod.db to secmod-old.db, closed Firefox, and renamed cert8.db to cert8-old.db. Now when I opened up Firefox, Google Accounts and our JIRA helpdesk site opened up just fine.
A story should be told on how you managed to figure this out.