My firefox has been browser hijacked and have no clue on how to remove it
When I perform a search my browser gets redirected to another site, below are some examples. How do I remove this?
http://18.104.22.168/search/web/Beat/a51/itcg-18254/v5 http://22.214.171.124/search/web/Brady/a51/itcg-18254/v5 http://comparestores.net/products.php?src=ls&ls_account_id=1051580&ls_channel_id=10515800047&ls_click_id=1295013838-4137.4d92.4e52e2cf.608e&phrase=hockey & a site called star feeds mixer browser hijacking
Additional System Details
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- The Hulu Desktop Plugin allows Hulu.com to integrate with the Hulu Desktop application.
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- DivX Web Player version 126.96.36.1995
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Google Update
- Version 0.9.18, Copyright 2006-2009 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.18, copyright 2006-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
Read the above article and try to figure out which sites and which type of searches are affected. Common causes of such redirects include installation of toolbars as extensions or plugins. You may need to find out what they are, and uninstall them, sometimes from the Windows OS rather than from the firefox menu.
Try using firefox's Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode - but make no changes just click on continue. if the problem goes away it is likely to be a simple extension that you should be able to uninstall from
- Firefox button -> Add-ons (Or use keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + A )
- if you still have a problem, then whilst in safe mode and in the add-ons manager also check your plugins, does one of them provide this facility/cause the problem, if so you may be able to disable it
- see also Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems
- If the problem continues it may be something installed by the operating system, or malware
You can try this manual removal instruction: http://goodbye2virus.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/how-to-remove-star-feedsmixer-org-google-redirection-virus-manually-get-rid-of-it/
- is rather specific
we do not know that particular virus is the problem
- it recommends editing the registry,
often something the average user should try to avoid
- I did not follow the links,
but does the site you link to provide services for a fee ?
(the link to Mozilla Firefox information I provided is suggesting solutions which tend to use sites and software where a fee is not charged)