How to disable 'Switch to tab'
How to disable 'Switch to tab'?
This 'feature' is useless and pretty much annoying.
Additional System Details
- Vividas Player Plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.6
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Modified by Svetlana
Here's a better solution. Don't put in such a stupid function. Let people use an add-on if they DO want such a function, instead of having people use an add-on to avoid it.
Firefox is just getting more and more annoying.
Agreed! If I'm dumb enough to take two different tabs to the same url by mistake, that's my problem. But when I am deliberately attempting to take a second tab to the same page and that "switch to tab" function prevents the not-very-awesome-at-that-moment-bar from doing so...? Remedy: 1) Castrate whoever developed the "switch to tab" function. 2) Remove that useless and incredibly annoying function from this and all future versions of Firefox. 3) Repeat step 1 as necessary...
Thanks to modem, Gryllida, and oggologgo for having addressed the issue here!
Hold down the Alt or Shift key while an entry in the drop down list is highlighted to disable "Switch to tab" and see the URL of all entries instead.
- Alt + Enter opens the highlighted URL in a new tab.
- Shift + Enter opens the highlighted URL in the current tab.
- Cursor Right copies the highlighted URL to the location bar in case you want to edit it.
Thank you for info. on another work-around for this situation. I've already installed the "switch to tab no more" add-on that Gyllida listed and believe that the simplest and best solution would still be to remove the "switch to tab" feature, period. That feature is a useless "solution"-in-search-of-a-problem to begin with. "Switch-to-tab" MIGHT make sense if offered as an add-on for any who actually want it, but NOT as the installed-by-default setup. Thank you again though for making an additional option available!
Modified by PhotoBoothe