Why do I sometimes have to restart Firefox to get it to remember username and password? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, for the same site. Closing and opening usually sorts the problem but is not the answer I'm looking for.
I work with various websites and have usernames and FTP passwords and other log in details stored on my computer. Usually I can get into the sites, but once in a while the username is not remembered and hence the password. When that happens I have no option but to restart Firefox, for the problem will persist with all forms of auto-complete, and does not "fix" itself.
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.1
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 5.10 for Netscape
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r159
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Your best option will be to enable a Master Password. See Security panel
However, do bear in mind that some sites have disabled the option to remember a Username in order to protect a user's data.
Thanks, but these aren't those sites. Otherwise they would never work instead of usually work. And the reason for Firefox to remember passwords for me is so I don't have to enter a password every time I update a site.
Modified by Xplosiv
Please see this article: How to fix preferences that won't save
Thanks Xircal, but I don't have any of those programs installed and there is no problem with my set preferences. I'm wondering if it may not be a memory leak, but the problem is as likely to crop up at start up as it is at the end of the day. This morning it failed on first username and at times it hasn't troubled me for days.
I would recommend you to not save any passwords on the browser, as its is extremely vulnerable to hackers who can get access to your saved password.
Try this article instead: http://kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_and_password_not_remembered