open new window in tab does not work
I like Firefox 4, mainly because I like the bigger viewing area.
Butopening links in a new tab is the problem. I have 'Open new windows in a tab" set, but that doesn't work.
The right click menu has 'open in tab' and 'open innew window, are they swapped from the previous version, because unless I stop to look I hit the wrong one. Personally I never open in a new window so would rather there was only one option 'open in new tab'.
But still, why can't I click on a link and it always opens in a new tab?
Additional System Details
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.3"
- Default Plug-in
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- Spoon Plugin 3.11
- Spoon Plugin 3.12
- Spoon Plugin 3.14
- Spoon Plugin 3.7
- Spoon Plugin 3.8
- Spoon Plugin 3.9
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 18.104.22.168
- Google Update
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
The machine is Vista, using Firefox 4
Install either or both of these add-ons:
Thankyou for the reply Xircal. But I have to add now that these add ons will not install either.
Could you go to Tools | Add-ons | Plugins and disable those Spoon plugins you have installed? I realize you need them to run apps on the Spoon website, but I just need to know whether they're the cause of the problem or not.
EDIT: see http://spoon.net/Help/ for supported browsers.
Modified by Xircal
I have just tried disabling them, also disabled DownloadHelper as I though it might be another that captures all links in case they are video urls, it didn't change the problem.
I had forgotten until I just read it that we have the option of middle click to open links in a new tab. I can get used to that, its just that auto-habits are hard to break so I bet there are a fair few have been using the open in new tab for as long as I have and will end up in here.
According to that link I posted to the spoon help site, their app is only supported on Firefox 3.5 or earlier. You could consider contacting their support helpdesk and suggest they get abreast of the latest technology and update their apps to work with Firefox 4.0.x
Try running Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode. If it functions properly in that configuration, then one of your add-ons is the culprit.