When firefox is launched, my computer asks whether I trust updater.exe to make changes to the computer
I have user account control turned up to always ask. Only issue I have is whether I can trust the executable - C:\users\<name>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Mozilla Firefox\0\updater.exe . Is this the way updater is run ? I would expect it to run from under C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\updater.exe. Are there any known issues of this kind ? Thanks
Additional System Details
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.5
- Version 184.108.40.206
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Default Plug-in
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.3"
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
You posted using an older Firefox 3.6.8 version and Firefox may have downloaded an update that is still pending. Updater.exe is the Firefox update program.
Try to run the Firefox program once as Administrator (right-click: Run as Administrator).
- How to fix the Update Failed error message when updating Firefox
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Software_Update (Software Update not working properly)
Remove the files in the updates and updates\0 folder. You may need to delete active-update.xml and updates.xml as well if present.
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Mozilla Firefox\updates (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Mozilla Firefox)
You can also download and install the full version. A full version is needed anyway if the next minor update is skipped.
- Firefox 4.0: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Firefox 3.6: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html