bookmark file exists,small random part displayed,cannot add new ones
For 2-3 weeks bookmark file cannot be added to although it still exists. It happened about the time the Google etc option was added at the right top. For a couple of weeks a small subset of bookmarks with stars has been offered but until yesterday nothing under the bookmarks dropdown menu. Yesterday 3 random bookmarks from the main file suddenly appeared for the first time in this drop down menu. I have tried all the suggested options to correct bookmark problems. I do not have any of the rogue addons or Norton. I use Zonealarm extreme.
Additional System Details
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Sounds like the places.sqlite file that stores your bookmarks and history is damaged.
Try backing up your bookmarks to your desktop (it will be saved in JSON format) and then restore the JSON backup using the "Import and Backup -> Restore -> Choose File" option in the Firefox Bookmarks Manager (Library window) . See Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer.
If that doesn't help. try rebuilding the places database by closing Firefox and deleting "places.sqlite". "places.sqlite-journal" and similarly named "places" files in the Firefox profile folder . The Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data article explains how to find the profile folder and this articlehas more information: