how can I copy or transfer my saved passwords to another computer
I am having my computer 'cleaned' ie back to as was when new i want to retain all my saved passwords even if only on paper but the page will not let me print so how do i do it OR I can transfer to another computer...how?
Additional System Details
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.1"
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_14 for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11
To backup or restore passwords in Firefox 3.5/6 you need two files: key3.db and signons.sqlite.
You can also look at the Password Exporter extension to backup and restore the names and passwords.
Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Everyone say you need "key3.db" and "signons.sqlite" but failed to tell how to use them. I had a folder: C:\Users\_MYNAME_\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\urn2m4ly.default keep it safe and in my new computer new there is such folder. I see only: C:\Users\_MYNAME_\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles I copied the folder "urn2m4ly.default" with all its contents and nothing is working. I imported the bookmarks but don't know how to import/restore the password
I don't like using "Password Explorer" for security reason. Thank you
You make a backup of those two files and if you want to restore the passwords then you place those two files a a Firefox profile folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
thank you cor-el my problem was that I was copy and pasting the two files key3.db and signon.sqlite into "urn2m4ly.default" folder inside the profile folder. This was the folder I have copied from my old computer. I noticed that in this computer I had "gxvyudnt.default" folder and copied and pasted both file and it worked.