Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

When I print a web page there is a large margin to the left even though the left margin is set to zero, this also shows in print preview.

  • 6 replies
  • 33 have this problem
  • 2670 views
  • Last reply by tz1

more options

Changing any other print parameters does not get rid of the problem. Firefox is fully up to date.

All Replies (6)

more options

Chosen Solution

more options

Paper size is A4 . I have now discovered that the problem seems to occur when the web page consists of various frames. These are rendered in series across the page rather than being correctly positioned in the vertical direction. A bit like a text documect with the carriage returns missing. A simple single frame web page seems to print OK.

more options

Problem solved ... It WAS paper size ... This had somehow got set to A2 instead of A4 ... Don't know how that happened ... Thanks very much for your help ....

more options

You're welcome.

more options

My problem is it RESETS THE DEFAULT TO A2 every time I try printing anything. The Windows printer default is letter. But every time I launch the print preview - even for a different tab, it defaults to 2.75x4.57.

How can I set the DEFAULT paper size to letter for firefox?

If I forget even once I get strange results and waste a lot of paper.

Modified by tz1

more options

The default is in about:config and there were many printers with lots of random settings and no way to get rid of old printers, etc. so I just used what was recommended elswhere - in my profile directory, I exited firefox, edited prefs.js and removed everything starting with "printer.", then restarted, selected (the default) printer and made sure the options were right - and weren't being overridden to a tiny default paper size or other problem, and then did a preview and it was normal.

I recently changed how I connect to my printer so there were several variants (X, X_usb, X_ether, X_wifioldAP, X_wifinewAP ...), and updated the drivers, etc. so it is possible something really confused the prefs.js entries for the printer as most recently configured. some of them had the strange small value (and used metric), others were normal.

In any case, removing all the printers reset the options and everything is working normally now.