When I click on a hyperlink, how do I keep the Firefox Bookmarks sidebar from automatically opening on new page? (Note: on original page, View/Sidebar/Bookmarks is unchecked)
Bookmarks sidebar always opens automatically in new page. If I click View/Sidebar/Bookmarks...I can uncheck Bookmarks, but that defeats the purpose of not having it open in the first place.
Is there a separate Firefox setting that controls this function?
Additional System Details
- IE Tab Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- Abacast Netscape Plugin
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.0"
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Version 0.8.6f, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.5.13
Assuming that you are opening a bookmark, right-click that bookmark and select Properties, then un-check the preference for Load this bookmark in the sidebar, and then click Save.
Let me reword this.
I am not opening a bookmark or bookmarking a page, or doing anything remotely related to Bookmarks. All I am doing is reading webpage A, and then clicking on a hyperlink on webpage A. Then, when linked webpage B opens, webpage B displays the Firefox Bookmarks as a left/vertical sidebar.
I neither need nor want the Bookmarks sidebar (on webpage B). If I click on View/Sidebar/Bookmarks of webpage B, there is a checkmark present (Note: I did nothing to put that checkmark there in the first place.) If I "uncheck" /Bookmarks, the sidebar disappears. However, I do not want to have to "uncheck" /Bookmarks ... just as I do not want to have to click the X on the sidebar to remove it. This is the extra step I now have to do.
What is causing the Bookmarks sidebar to 'automatically' appear on webpage B? Is there a Firefox setting (or Windows XP setting) that will override and prevent sidebars from opening automatically on a hyperlinked webpage?
(Note also that on webpage A, prior to clicking the hyperlink, I clicked on View/Sidebar/Bookmarks and there was no checkmark next to /Bookmarks)
Can be caused by http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf