When I open a pdf file, Firefox opens a blank window, then the file opens in a Adobe Reader window. How can I stop the blank window?
Whether I am using Firefox 3.6.8 or Thunderbird 3.0.6, clicking on a pdf file opens a new window. After a few seconds the pdf file opens in a separate Adobe Reader window. When I am done with that and close it, I still have to go back and close out the blank window. Got to be a configuration issue some place. I have tried several settings under Tools/Options, but haven't found the right setting yet. Any suggestions?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- npmnqmp 07103010
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Centra Updater Plugin: 7,6,2,1
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Default Plug-in
- The Hulu Desktop Plugin allows Hulu.com to integrate with the Hulu Desktop application.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.3"
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
1. Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
2. Choose Edit > Preferences. 3. Select Internet on the left. 4. Select Display PDF In Browser Using [Acrobat application], and then click OK. 5. Quit Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
Good Luck! Hamid
Modified by hamidD
Thank you very much for the reply. I followed your instructions. This fixed half of the problem. Links to pdf files that are on web pages now come up with a box that asks if I want to open or save the file, without a blank browser window in the background. That is great.
When I tested the fix with pdf file links in email, the problem still exists. I tested links in Outlook Express, Yahoo mail, and Gmail. Any time I click on a pdf link in an email, a blank Firefox window opens and then I get the small window that asks me if I want to open or save the file. Sounds like this is a configuration issue, not a technical problem. Thanks for your help.
I'm not wanting to open my pdf in a browser window; I want it to open in the adobe application (just like it already does). But I'd rather not have this extra blank Firefox window open as well that has to be separately closed.
I'm with robk1w1. That is the problem I am having - an extra click to close a blank page after downloading a document. FF did not used to do this. Very irritating. Might go back to Chrome.