hotmail basic function (sending e-mail) won't work on Mac OS X 10.3.9
My Mac OS X 10.3.9 with Firefox cannot handle Hotmail basic function sending emails. I can't upgrade the browser. I can receive email.
URL of affected sites
Hotmail is upgrading its interface and as a result Firefox 220.127.116.11 is no longer supported (you can't write emails). You need a later version of Mac OS X (10.4 or above) to upgrade to a supported version of Firefox (or Safari or Google Chrome).... :-(Read this answer in context 1
Additional System Details
- -Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Netscape Navigator Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- DivX Content Upload Plug-In: Uploads DivX video in your browser!
- DivX Browser Plug-In: Plays DivX video in your browser!
- Plugin that plays RealMedia content
- Provides support for Digital Rights Management
- Java 1.3.1 Plug-in (CFM)
- Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 8.5.1
- Java 1.3.1 Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/22.214.171.124
I have a macbook pro and I can't send mail using my Mail hotmail accounts either but I can recieve it...???
how do i fix it?
Hotmail is upgrading its interface and as a result Firefox 126.96.36.199 is no longer supported (you can't write emails). You need a later version of Mac OS X (10.4 or above) to upgrade to a supported version of Firefox (or Safari or Google Chrome).... :-(
If you are desperate to send and receive emails through your hotmail account, you can use 'apple mail' (my version is 1.3.11) and add an account in the preferences. Hotmail Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop3.live.com (logon using Secure Password Authentification - SPA, mail server port: 995) Hotmail Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.live.com (SSL enabled, port 25) In Preferences/ Accounts /Advanced you have to tick Use SSL and accept port 995 to 'Get Mail' it works :) So far any emails I send will then be in the apple mail sent folder, and not in the hotmail webemail sent folder. However, you can patch this up by bcc-ing your hotmail address every time you send an email and then moving those emails into your sent folder in the hotmail webmail account, which is still possible in Firefox 2.
Modified by Ulli
Dear Ulli, YOU'RE THE BEST !!! Honestly, anxious to get started with your tips (I work on a Mac 10.3.9 still on which Firefox higher than version 188.8.131.52 is impossible to install, and still working in Mail 1.3.9) (guess I'm old fashioned as sticking to known and stable circumstances, afraid of new things...) but IT WORKED perfectly! YOU MADE MY DAY! Now I seem to have a bit more time to think about the purchase of a new machine with new (unknown) features and troubles arising... The only thing was, that Mail was importing 'all' mails which were in my in box as well, but this was the lesser of my troubles.