My Firefox spellchecker doesn't seem to be working; in fact I'm not sure it exists. I have a hotmail account and when I try and use the hotmail spellcheck I get a message to say that I'm using a browser with a built-in spellcheck. Where on earth do I find
My firefox spellcheck doesn't seem to be working; that's assuming it exists at all.For example when I misspell a word when composing an email, using hotmail and I try to correct it using hotmail's spellcheck, I get a message saying that I'm using a browser that has it's own inbuilt spellcheck. If it's inbuilt how on earth do I find it?
Every time Firefox opened
== As far as I'm aware, always
You need to install a spell check dictionary, only the en-US version comes with a dictionary. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/Read this answer in context 12
Additional System Details
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Firefox Proxy component for eMail ID
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.3"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100713 Firefox/3.6.7
Adblock Plus 1.2.1
Blinkx Toolbar 1.0
Java Console 6.0.20
Java Quick Starter 1.0
McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.1
Search Cloudlet 0.7.4.75
You need to install a spell check dictionary, only the en-US version comes with a dictionary. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/
Unfortunately when I tried to install the suggested add-on, Firefox prevented this with a warning about only downloading from sources you trust etc etc.
That's just the standard notice when you install an addon from the AMO web site.
Wasn't the Install Now button active? Sometimes you have to wait for up to 4 seconds for that button to be active - IOW, not greyed-out.
Thanks ed-meister. I followed your advice and the spellcheck is now installed and working just fine. Kind regards,
in latest 4.0b4pre, when I installed and enabled the English - Greek Spelling dictionary https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fire.../3451/ I've noticed that the default spell-checking option was disabled in the right-click menu on text areas. Enabling it in one text box doesn't enable it by default.
My settings in about:config are:
layout.spellcheckDefault 1 (Enable spellchecker for multi-line controls according to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Spellchecker.dictionary)
spellchecker.dictionary en-US (the English - Greek is defined as such)
Is this a known bug in 4.x?
excellent thanks for posting this solution.