How do I block BING from ever (evar, evar...) becoming the search engine (evar) when I type words into the main browser window.
This just cropped up today. My SOP is to type words and phrases into the main browser mini-window and get google search results. I have started getting BING searches. Horrors. I don't want to type in teh search bar mini-window. I want to permanently block anything but google searches. If I wanted BING for some reason, I would go to bing.com and search there. But I won't do that.
URL of affected sites
Additional System Details
- -Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.2"
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Office Live Update v1.3
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Reader Library Helper Plugin
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
I eliminated bing from my search engine list. I cleared all the history, the cache, the cookies.
You may have installed software or an extension that has set the search engine to Bing.
See /forum/1/531033 How do remove that nasty Bing tool bar?
Bing PWNED! from the forum here is how to do it... 1. type "about:config" in filter bar 2. click on "I'll be careful, I promise!" 3. type "keyword.url" in the address bar 4. doubleclick on the highlighted item 5. replace evil BING string with "http://www.google.com/webhp?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8"
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! though that didn't quite work for me it VERY much helped me figure out what to do! the only thing i had to do different was the last step i told it to reset instead of copying what you put. anyway thank you again!
can you post the old evil string please. I tried your suggestion and now when I type a keyword into the browser bar, I am rerouted to google page. I absolutely do not want to type it in twice, this is worse than bing appearing for me. thanks.
I tried reinstalling firefox, but that did not work.