Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Why do email reply Subject lines start with Aw: instead of Re:?

martindh

The subject line of replies to email messages are preceded with Aw: instead of Re:. Aw: appears to be the German language version of Re:, but my language is set to English as best as I can determine. Forwarded email are preceded with Fw: as normal. My other email (Yahoo mail) does not have this problem. I do not see anything other than the Subject line Aw: that looks like it is in another language. If I use a different browser (I usually use Firefox,) the same problem occurs so I do not think it is a browser setting. It only happens in my mail.com account so I do not think it is a global Windows setting. This problem started several months ago -- I have been using mail.com for many years without this problem so it appears to be caused by a mail.com update. Thanks.

The subject line of replies to email messages are preceded with Aw: instead of Re:. Aw: appears to be the German language version of Re:, but my language is set to English as best as I can determine. Forwarded email are preceded with Fw: as normal. My other email (Yahoo mail) does not have this problem. I do not see anything other than the Subject line Aw: that looks like it is in another language. If I use a different browser (I usually use Firefox,) the same problem occurs so I do not think it is a browser setting. It only happens in my mail.com account so I do not think it is a global Windows setting. This problem started several months ago -- I have been using mail.com for many years without this problem so it appears to be caused by a mail.com update. Thanks.

Modified by martindh

All Replies (1)

Yeah that might be better to ask mail.com support what setting that's based on.

If that's not account preference on their side per se, you could try signing into your mail using a new Private Widow to see if they're persisting this in your session data perhaps?

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.