Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

I have password required screen starting Firefox but I have never set a primary password

bill.drinkall

Password screen comes up starting firefox. I have never set a primary password. If I follow the instructions to cancel, as soon as I go to passwords the pass required screen comes up!

Password screen comes up starting firefox. I have never set a primary password. If I follow the instructions to cancel, as soon as I go to passwords the pass required screen comes up!
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

You don't need to un/reinstall to get rid of it — you can just disable it in settings without knowing it — you'll however lose your encrypted data (passwords, credit cards etc.) that you don't have synced with an account online — see Reset your Primary Password if you've forgotten it for details.

All Replies (6)

Does anyone else have access to your device? If you never had password protection before, somebody might have enabled that and added the primary password inadvertently (I won't go joking about a cat running over the keyboard, but you get the general idea…)

Can you ask around if anyone might have pressed buttons or added a passphrase for your browser?

No sole use, nobody else in house. Could it have happened when Firefox was updated.

Is it poss to uninstall Firefox and reinstall keeping my bookmarks?

Chosen Solution

You don't need to un/reinstall to get rid of it — you can just disable it in settings without knowing it — you'll however lose your encrypted data (passwords, credit cards etc.) that you don't have synced with an account online — see Reset your Primary Password if you've forgotten it for details.

when I go to settings / passwords and autofill/ then go to turn off primary password it asks for primary password!

went via the link and its reset thanks

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.