Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

How to view & send email as text only in TB 91?

dcollins1

I recently upgraded from Thunderbird circa 60 to 91, and also switched from 32-bit to 64-bit, on Windows 7.

Previously I always had settings to both view & send emails only in text mode. Now there doesn't appear to be any settings for that (e.g., under Preferences).

How can I continue to view & send emails in text mode only (not HTML)?

I recently upgraded from Thunderbird circa 60 to 91, and also switched from 32-bit to 64-bit, on Windows 7. Previously I always had settings to both view & send emails only in text mode. Now there doesn't appear to be any settings for that (e.g., under Preferences). How can I continue to view & send emails in text mode only (not HTML)?

All Replies (2)

Chosen Solution

Under Preferences, click the Send Options button. To compose in plain text only, open Account Settings and change Composition & Addressing options for that account by simply unchecking the option to compose in HTML. This is a per-account setting, so change it for each account as you prefer. To view messages in plain text, go to the View menu > Message Body As > Plain Text.