Bookmark Toolbar does not pickk up new bookmarks
I have a new install of firefox (78.7.1esr) on a new Apple Mac (10.15.7 Catalina). I used sync to sync bookmarks from an ubuntu install (85.0.1) onto the Mac.
The bookmarks arrived. They are visible on the bookmarks toolbar, bookmarks menu, and bookmarks / show all bookmarks. I can add new bookmarks using drag and drop, or by the bookmarks menu options. These bookmarks can be seen in the Bookmarks / Show All Bookmarks menu. But they do not appear in the bookmarks toolbar. It's as if there are 2 sets both started from the same sync.
- Bookmarks added by drag and drop visible through the toolbar
- Those added with add bookmark or show all bookmarks within the toolbar folder do not appear on the toolbar.
I've now got what looks like 2 sets that are drifting out of sync on the same latptop.
thanks for any help.
All Replies (1)
If you use Sync then best is to disconnect Sync temporarily during troubleshooting.
This can be caused by a problem with the places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite databases in the Firefox profile folder.
- use "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page
If errors are reported with "Verify Integrity", close and restart Firefox or reboot and retry.
If "Verify Integrity" cannot repair places.sqlite, rename/remove all places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed. Firefox will rebuild places.sqlite and restore the bookmarks from a recent JSON backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.
- keep a backup copy of places.sqlite in case a new places.sqlite database has to be created
You lose the history when a new places.sqlite is created.
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder