This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Three days ago in Outlook 2010 hyperlinks stopped working. I ran chkdsk & scan , repaired outlook, switched Icloud add in on & off, safe mode, stylo on & off, and much much more So I am about to change to MS Edge as when I tried that hyperlinks work fine. Last time I used MS browser was with Win 98 or 2000 ! I have been using Outlook 10 and Firefox for 10 years with no problem, but have spent many hours with online suggestions of many remedies on this occasion, but no solution. I have given up ! The problem is Firefox.
All Replies (17)
They stopped working meaning that nothing happens when you click them, or do you get a blank page in Firefox, or ??
When I click on the hyperlink in the email, a small "processing or busy " roundel appears over the line of script for the hyperlink for about 5 seconds, disappearing after that. If firefox is closed, it is not triggered to open, or if firefox is open already, it does not trigger a new tab for the subject of the hyperlink . So firefox is unresponsive in any way as far as I can tell. I closed the extensions (dashlane & adaware) but no difference, anyway all had been fine until 11th of Feb. I tried a restore to 10th Feb, it seemed to work for a while, until I rebooted, so I assume now that firefox auto updated, and recreated the problem. Thank you for your interest.
Hi Ian, do any other external links launch in Firefox, such as
- links in Adobe Reader/Acrobat
- desktop shortcuts to websites
Or do those similarly fail silently or with an error message?
They all work, but I still have to copy & paste the hyperlink to reply to you from Outlook!
I'm out of ideas at the moment.
Well, as you have gathered, that makes two of us; thanks for trying.
Now I'm not clear: did you try reinstalling Firefox? By that I mean simply re-run the 85.0.2 installer without removing anything in the hope that the in-place upgrade will refresh all its Registry settings. Download available here:
I did the "refresh" which removes add ons & customizations and resets browser settings to defaults.
Okay, I don't think a Refresh updates the Windows registry, so I suggest trying the reinstall as described in my previously reply.
Well, amongst all the other things, I did install from the website installer on 12th, but did it again today. Version 85-02 64 bit . Sadly isq.
Wondering whether there might be anything unusual about the URL. If you right-click > Copy Hyperlink in Outlook and then paste into the address bar in Firefox, does it open?
Yes, if I can "copy" & paste into the address bar it works, but "opening" the hyperlink doesn't. With quite a lot of hyperlinks on other sites, not outlook, it won't work if you click on the "click" word. When you try to put the cursor on the full text of the hyperlink it disappears, so you cannot copy it to use it.
Hmm, your Firefox has problems with links in web pages, too? Clicks on those links are ignored? That certainly could be related. What if you try right-click > Open Link in New Tab. Will they open that way, or similar lack of response?
Links once in firefox appear ok, open in new tab etc work normally. Its just the transfer of the instruction from Outlook to firefox that does not work. I am no expert, but what I meant was that as in the picture below, clicking on the blue reply words or box works, but if you hover over the hyperlink address box it disappears. I think that's normal.
I don't see anything unusual about that link. But to complete the thought: did Outlook 2010 have a right-click context menu for links with this item (screenshot is a newer release):
Boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support to see if that has effect in case security software is causing problems.
Reply to jscher2000 Thank you for trying . My Outlook was originally part of Office Pro 2010, later updated by updates to Outlook 2014, but "about" menu says 2010. I am unable to remember about the right click context menu . Sorry.
Reply to cor-el Thank you for your interest. I did try outlook in safe mode , suspended icloud add-on and suspended all "bitdefender total" activity. No change. I will try windows safe mode when I can, and let you know in due course.