Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Changed to 2FA and now Thunderbird having problems

  • 4 replies
  • 1 has this problem
  • 58 views
  • Last reply by mikec2

more options

So, one of our customers requires us to use 2FA to do work for them. So I tested out the 2FA myself and when I 1st set it up Thunderbird seemed to work fine. Was able to send/receive emails with no problems or error messages. Then the next morning Thunderbird started giving me "Login to account "Exchange" failed. Login to server outlook.office365.com with u/n ** failed.

So I figured I'd just disable 2FA for now until I did some more research. Well disabled it and still got the same error. I tried re-typing my password, I changed my password hoping maybe it would trigger a setting, re-enabled 2FA and everything else I could think of and nothing works. I've tried disabling add-ons and it still wouldn't work. So for right now I'm using OWL in order to get my email.

I am the only employee that uses Thunderbird for email as everybody else here uses Outlook on our remote desktop server. I don't like Outlook and since I'm the "IT" person, I've allowed myself some luxuries. Now I'm not a true IT person, I just know more about pc's then anybody else here. We do have an outside IT company that I use when I don't have the time to handle a problem, but everything is pretty much a charge per incident fee with them so I try not to use them and not really sure if they'd be of much help anyways.

I've googled and tried options I've found that seem like they could solve the problem, but no dice yet. So I'm hoping somebody here as more ideas to try so I don't have to use Outlook?

Thanks.

Chosen solution

Well it looks like TB has come out of its funk as it seems to be working fine now. The only thing that's changed is the update to 78.4.1 and I changed the security settings to OAuth2 on imap and smtp. I tried the OAuth2 change when I 1st got the problem but it didn't work.

Either way, I can continue to use TB and not have to use Outlook.

Read this answer in context 👍 1

All Replies (4)

more options

Are IMAP and POP3 still enabled on the Exchange (Online) server? According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/enable-or-disable-modern-authentication-in-exchange-online, IMAP and POP3 clients should not be affected when MFA is enabled, unless security default settings are in use.

more options

Stans said

Are IMAP and POP3 still enabled on the Exchange (Online) server? According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/enable-or-disable-modern-authentication-in-exchange-online, IMAP and POP3 clients should not be affected when MFA is enabled, unless security default settings are in use.

I verified this morning that they are both still enabled. Should have mentioned that I'm using IMAP and not POP3. Thanks.

more options

Still having this problem and me free trial for OWA add-on for Thunderbird is about to expire. Work won't pay for the add-on as every user has a full license of Office so Outlook is my only option (only accessible on our remote desktop servers) which I don't always connect to and I really just don't like Outlook.

Thanks.

more options

Chosen Solution

Well it looks like TB has come out of its funk as it seems to be working fine now. The only thing that's changed is the update to 78.4.1 and I changed the security settings to OAuth2 on imap and smtp. I tried the OAuth2 change when I 1st got the problem but it didn't work.

Either way, I can continue to use TB and not have to use Outlook.