Security certificate problem with Mozilla server ? Can't access website.
I cannot access Mozilla via Firefox - issue arose when trying to access add-ons yesterday (25 Jan 2020). Firefox displays the following: "Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to addons.mozilla.org. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem."
In order to post this, I have had to access the site via Chromium, which also noted a secure connection error. I have used a VPN add-on to secure the connection and access the site.
I assume this is an issue on the Mozilla server with an expired certificate?
Eventually worked out it was one of the security settings on my ISP that was causing the issue.Read this answer in context 👍 0
All Replies (5)
There is security software like Avast, Kaspersky, BitDefender and ESET that intercept secure connection certificates and send their own.
jamesafuf123 said https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264659#answer-1237475 my ISP was blocking sites like that
cor-el said This usually means that Firefox wasn't able to find a cipher suites to use to connect to this server and reached the end of the list. There can be two possibilities: one is that the server is outdated and doesn't support modern cipher suites, another might be that the server only supports a few cipher suites and Firefox doesn't support any of these.
You can check your browser and possibly compare this with the server setup.
The issue is appearing on both Firefox and Chromium, so I doubt it's a configuration problem on my browsers. It's just that I have a VPN estension on Chromium allowing me to connect.
I have no antivirus suites - running Linux.
I've tried flushing the DNS cache. No change. I should point out as well that this is not a general problem with other websites. Only one other that I usually use has a problem - and I've confirmed that others have had a similar issue with it, so I'm pretty certain that relates to its' certificate.
Eventually worked out it was one of the security settings on my ISP that was causing the issue.
Good to hear. Well done.