X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

Account not sending mails due to "Copy failed" "There was an error saving the message to Sent Mail. Retry?"

Posted

Hello. Thanks for the time you take out of your day to help. I am a non-techie end-user with TB as my primary client for business and facing the issue above. It is similarly related to the below resources -- the only ones I found on the net about this error :

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3028818 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2948975 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=300005

... but in my case, it *does NOT* successfully send the mail. Whatever mail I try to send, vanishes without a trace (not in sent, not in drafts) and goes unsent as well. It started appearing on its own just in the last couple of days without my changing anything. It is limited to only one of my accounts, my default account, and not the other accounts, so I don't think it is a problem with the SMTP settings (I use Gmail, and the same settings for all accounts).

I'm not sure if a fix for this will be a priority for the dev team, but can you suggest a workaround, things I can try step by step to hone in on the problem and get rid of it?

Thanks!

Hello. Thanks for the time you take out of your day to help. I am a non-techie end-user with TB as my primary client for business and facing the issue above. It is similarly related to the below resources -- the only ones I found on the net about this error : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3028818 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2948975 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=300005 ... but in my case, it *does NOT* successfully send the mail. Whatever mail I try to send, vanishes without a trace (not in sent, not in drafts) and goes unsent as well. It started appearing on its own just in the last couple of days without my changing anything. It is limited to only one of my accounts, my default account, and not the other accounts, so I don't think it is a problem with the SMTP settings (I use Gmail, and the same settings for all accounts). I'm not sure if a fix for this will be a priority for the dev team, but can you suggest a workaround, things I can try step by step to hone in on the problem and get rid of it? Thanks!

Chosen solution

Thanks, Matt.. That indeed got rid of the error message, but, also same as before the mails in this case unfortunately went Unsent and there was no record of them in Drafts either. Like it wasn’t synchronizing. I tested with another Gmail account I have configured in Thunderbird which worked fine, and I checked from Gmail interface that the problematic account did indeed receive the message. Your reply inspired me to suspect Google’s Oauth changes this past year requiring cookies to not go ignored. I went to TB Preferences->Privacy and allowed all cookies. Voila! It worked like a charm and all synchronization perfect. This may be helpful to other future readers: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

Read this answer in context 0
Matt
  • Top 10 Contributor
  • Moderator
3182 solutions 21683 answers

Helpful Reply

In the case of Google IMAP accounts you should turn of the saving of sent mail in the sent folder. Google makes a copy at the same time as the message goes through their outgoing server. So basically turn of Thunderbird copy as the google one with sync down to you.

Right click the account in the folder pane and select Settings. In copies and folders turn off the saving of outgoing mail to the sent folder on the gmail account. Or change it to sent on local folders if you want both copies.

This will clear the error message but is unlikely to do anything about getting the mail delivered.

In the case of Google IMAP accounts you should turn of the saving of sent mail in the sent folder. Google makes a copy at the same time as the message goes through their outgoing server. So basically turn of Thunderbird copy as the google one with sync down to you. Right click the account in the folder pane and select Settings. In copies and folders turn off the saving of outgoing mail to the sent folder on the gmail account. Or change it to sent on local folders if you want both copies. This will clear the error message but is unlikely to do anything about getting the mail delivered.

Chosen Solution

Thanks, Matt.. That indeed got rid of the error message, but, also same as before the mails in this case unfortunately went Unsent and there was no record of them in Drafts either. Like it wasn’t synchronizing. I tested with another Gmail account I have configured in Thunderbird which worked fine, and I checked from Gmail interface that the problematic account did indeed receive the message. Your reply inspired me to suspect Google’s Oauth changes this past year requiring cookies to not go ignored. I went to TB Preferences->Privacy and allowed all cookies. Voila! It worked like a charm and all synchronization perfect. This may be helpful to other future readers: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

Thanks, Matt.. That indeed got rid of the error message, but, also same as before the mails in this case unfortunately went Unsent and there was no record of them in Drafts either. Like it wasn’t synchronizing. I tested with another Gmail account I have configured in Thunderbird which worked fine, and I checked from Gmail interface that the problematic account did indeed receive the message. Your reply inspired me to suspect Google’s Oauth changes this past year requiring cookies to not go ignored. I went to TB Preferences->Privacy and allowed all cookies. Voila! It worked like a charm and all synchronization perfect. This may be helpful to other future readers: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail